Today, in the class of Social Sciences, at the beginning , Paqui has told us that some people of the class have come later so she has written a negative in behaviour’s aspect in her notebook. Then Paqui has opened the blog and she has showed us the final results of elections of the United States of America. The results have been: Barack Obama with 59,623,480 popular votes and Mitt Romney with 56,992,152 popular votes at the moment, so Barack Obama continues to govern the United States of America. Also Paqui has said us that she has put some videos on the blog to understand the American Revolution and she has recommended us that we see them.
Later we have corrected the exercises that Paqui gave on Monday. They were the thirteen and fourteen on page eleven .Carlos Rivas has corrected the thirteen exercise and it was about the reasons of discontent of North American Colonists. The reason of the colonist's discontent were:
· -- No representatives in the British parliament: they couldn’t express their opinion
· --Constant tax increase
· --- British trade monopoly over the colonies: they couldn’t buy or sell their products to other places.
Jesus has corrected the exercise number fourteen. It was about the Boston Tea Party. The Boston Tea Party was that some colonists dressed as Indians and threw all the tea cargo of a British ship away to Boston harbor.
The boston Tea Party
Then Paqui has continued with the lesson on point number three (the independence of the 13 colonies in North America) She has explained the events before the independence:
-In 1759 to 1765: It was the Seven Years' War. Great Britain fought against France and Spain to defend their respective colonial empires. The British government decided to increase taxes.
· - 1770: Boston Massacre: Five colonists who protested against taxation were killed.
· -1773: Boston Tea Party
· - 1774: the British goverment closed Boston Harbor as a punishment for the Boston Tea Party.
· - 1776: Thomas Paine published “Common sense” a pamphlet criticizing the British government and demanding independence.
4th July of 1776: The representatives of the colonies who met at the 2nd Continental Congress in Philadelphia, decided to declare independence from Great Britain. The declaration of Independence was written by Thomas Jefferson.
Paqui has also explained us some concepts of the present such us the Tea Party that it’s a extreme right side of the Republican party and it appeared in 2009 as a reaction against Obama and the power of Federal government and the Caucus which is a political meeting to decide on the candidate of a party for the elections.
Paqui has sent for homework the exercise 15 of the unit which is about the independence of the USA.
The glossary of today is:
· - Disguised/dressed as: disfrazado de
· -Cargo: cargamento
· -Harbor: Puerto
· -Massacre: massacre
· - Lead: plomo
· - Stamp: sello
· - To charge: imponer un impuesto(cobrar)
· - Pamphlet: pamfleto
· - Farther: mas lejos
· - Unaliable: inalienable (that can’t be removed by anybody)
· - To break ties: romper los lazos
· - To violate: quebrantar
· - To rape: violar (physical meaning)
I hope you like it
See you tomorrow!