This is not a farewell, because I´ll be around and we´ll see each other next year, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you. You can call it “advice”, if you prefer. They are just some ideas to make you think about the kind of people you want to become:
- Don´t stop asking questions: it´s the best way to learn.
- Be curious, not nosy.
- Be critical. Don´t believe everything people tell you. Look for the answers to your doubts and come to your own conclusions.
- Give a hand to the people who need it, cooperate, be supportive. No one can survive alone and the progress of mankind has always been achieved uniting efforts.
- Don´t forget that you are human, not numbers. Don´t let anyone treat you as if you were only figures on a sheet of paper. As for the marks, they´re only figures too. What will remain is what you learnt, not what the administration wrote on your school report.
- Reason and words are your best weapons. Use them anytime. Violence and revenge never bring anything else but more pain and suffering. Remember that all the wars we studied ended with peace treaties, with people obliged to sit down, talk and reach agreements.
- Respect the others if you want to earn their respect.
- Open your mind, judge people for what they do, not for who they are or where they come from. Forget about prejudices. We, citizens of the world, all belong to the same species and share more than we could imagine. Borders, nations and “races” are human inventions to divide us and justify the supremacy of the minorities over the great majority.
- Don´t keep silence before injustice. Listen to the others, but speak out loud when you think you´re right. Following the herd may seem more comfortable sometimes, but you will feel better if you don´t betray your principles.
- Don´t forget about the past: use it to build a better future.
- Have a good life and share with others everything you can do to make the world a better place to live in.
And above all, don´t be another brick in the wall.
I would like to end with two classical quotes I always bear in mind:
Dare to know!
Be the change you want to see in the world!