Today Paqui has checked exercises from homework, exercise 11 and 12. Carmen has corrected exercise 11, about the Enlightened Despotism; and Enrique Perez has correct the other one about the reforms of the enlightened monarch.
We have studied the Enlightened Despotism:
It was a way of governing where some European monarch adopted some ideas of the Enlightement. They introduced some reforms in their kingdoms, but they tried to preserve the absolute power. Its slogan was "Every thing for the people, but without the people", because their subjects were considered to be ignorant and without the abiliti of deciding what was better for them.
The monarch who influenced the ideas of the Enlightement where:
Charles III of Spain
Carherine II of Russia
Friederic II of Prussia
Then we have started to see the Independence of the 13 colonies of North America and the foundation of the U.S.A. Gonzalo has started to read it and Paqui has explained. She has explained what metropolis and monopoly means:
- Metropolis: Country which has created an Empire. For example: England was the metropolis of the British Empire.
- Monopoly: When a person controlls a specific market or economic relation with a specific region.
- Enlightened despotism: Despotismo ilustrado.
- Enlightened absolutism: Absolutismo ilustrado.
- Subject (in this context): Súbditos.
- Damage: Perjudicar / dañar.
- Monopoly: Monopolio.
Sorry for the delay, but is the hour I arrive home. I hope you like it.