Otto Von Bismarck offering slices of Africa to the European powers at the Berlin Conference
The Rhodes Colossus, depicting colonialist Cecil Rhodes
as a giant standing over Africa and representing the Scramble for Africa
Here you have what you will have to do during next week´s lessons:
- Student in charge of the journal: Daniel Pintado
- Copy the outline of the new unit on your notebook. It corresponds to Unit 4 on the book (pages 33-43):
EUROPE IN THE 2ND HALF OF THE 19TH CENTURY.THE AGE OF EMPIRES
1. The unifications of Italy and Germany.
2. The Age of Empires
A) Definition, causes and justification of colonialism
B) Attitudes towards colonialism
C) Conquest, organization and exploitation of the colonies
D) The big colonial empires and Berlin Conference
E) Consequences of colonialism
3. Spain in the 2nd half of the 19th century
A) Isabella II´s reign
a) The Progressive Biennium (1854-1856)
b) Alternation between the moderates and the Liberal Union (1856-1868)
B) The Glorious Revolution and the Democratic Sexenio (1868-1874)
a) The Provisional Government (1868-1870)
b) Amadeus I of Savoy´s reign (1871-1873)
c) The 1st Republic (1873-1874)
C) The Restoration (1875-1931)
- Read point 1 of the unit on page 33 and do exercises 1, 2 and 3 of page 41.
On this unit you will have the possibility of doing a project about point 3 of the unit. It will consist of choosing one of the periods of the Spanish history in the 19th century, researching about it and making a comic (2 pages at least) or a video presentation, similar to this one:
- Student in charge of the journal: Yolanda Abad
- Cristina Blanco will be with you. She will use a new ppt presentation to correct the activities you did on Monday.
- Start point 2 of the unit, copy the definition of Age of Empires from the ppt presentation, read page 34 and do exercises 4, 5, 6 and 7 of page 41.
- Student in charge of writing the journal: Carmen Salido
- Read pages 35 and 36 and do exercises 8, 9 and 10 of page 41.
- Complete the blank map Cristina will give you about the big colonial empires.
If I can´t come back next week, maybe you should think about doing the exam on a different date.