Today in social sciences lesson we have learnt about the Labour Movement:
This refers to all the actions the workers prepared to improve their working and living condition, which had got worse with the Industrial revolution
• The first workers protests were not well organized. Workers destroyed the machines because they considered them to be responsible for their bad working conditions. This process was called Luddism. They sent letters to the owners of the factories to threaten them and an imaginary figure signed the letter: Ned Ludd The workers who were discovered destroying the machines were sentenced to death
Capitain Ned Ludd
• Workers became aware of their situation and the need for organizing themselves and they created the Mutual Benefit Societies to improve their working conditions.
• They were associations who helped workers in case of illness or unemployment, but only those who were well paid could afford themit.
Mutual Benefit society
• The next step was creating trade unions: associations of workers to defend their rights and improve their working conditions. They were illegal in the UK until 1824. There was also an attempt of creating a union of unions.
• The Chartist movement it was a political movement that demanded political rights for the workers. They presented a charter to the Parliament with their demands but they didn’t get what they wanted Then we have spoken about the utopian socialism and about the political ideologies and we have to make a scheme with this information.
-Ballot box. urna de votación
-to unionize: apuntarse a un sindicato
-mutual benefit society: sociedad de socorros mutuos
-charter: carta de peticiones
At the end of the Lesson Paqui has told us that we have two more days for the project and even if she has told us that we are so lazy, we are happy.
That was all, see you next week!