Today in the class of Social Sciences, we have done several things. Paqui has said that it's my turn to write the journal today because Maribel hasn't come to the class because she has been at the hospital. Also Virginia has said that she can't do the journal the day that she has to do it.
Later we have remembered the main features of painting with a power-point presentation:
- Use of oil painting.
- Predominance of colour over drawing.
- Use of warm colours.
- Constrast of light and shadow(Chiaroscuro).
- Complex composition(foresthortened figures,asymmetry,curved lines...) in order to shock the audience.
ITALY: Michelangelo Caravaggio:
- THE CONVERSION OF SAINT PAUL ON THE WAY TO DAMASCUS:
- THE ENTOMBENT OF CHRIST:
- THE CALLING OF SAINT-MATTHEW:
- DEATH OF THE VIRGIN: the woman who appeared on this painting is a pregnant prostitute who had died drowned dead in the Tiber River. The painting was considered to be immoral by the Church.
FLANDERS: Peter Paul Rubens:
- THE DESCENT FROM THE CROSS: this painting is an example of contrast of light and shadow( Chiaroscuro).
- THE ADORATION OF THE MAGI,BY SEBASTIANO RICCI:
- EQUESTRIAN PORTRAIT OF THE DUKE OF LERMA:this painting is in the Prado Museum and his composition is very complet.
- THE THREE GRACES: the woman of the left is the same as the woman in the middle. This are an example of the woman of this period (with curves in their body and white skin). The people of that time thought: to wash your body was a sin.
- HERCULES DRUNK, BEING LED AWAY BY A NYMPH:
HOLLAND: in the Low Countries the main subjects were not religious, but more based on ordinary life and bourgeois tastes: portraits, landscapes, scenes of ordinary life.
-Rembrandt Van Rijn: has more than ninety self-portraits.
- ANATOMY LESSON OF DR.NICOLAES TULP: on this painting the doctor (surgeon) is doing an autopsy to this body and the people around are seen to them. Autopsies in this period were done in theatres because they were public. The corpse belonged to a hung criminal. The people of that time thought: to wash your body was a sin.
- SYNDICS OF THE DRAPERS' GUILD:
- THE SLAUGHTERED OX:
And we will continue tomorrow in class, so tomorrow we will study the last Baroque painter (Johannes Vermeer from Delft) and his work.
Today also I have added new interesting word in my glossary:
-with his back turned down: de espaldas.
-backwards: hacia atrás.
-to drown: ahogarse.
-how you dare: ¿Cómo te atreves?
-caustic soda: sosa cáustica.
-slaughtered ox: buey desollado.
Finally, the bell has rung and Paqui has told us to review the new things that we have learned.