Today in the class of Social Sciences we have started a new unit, unit 7: THE FIRST WORLD WAR AND THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTIONS.
To start the unit, Paqui has written the index of the unit on the blackboard and then, we have copied it. The index of the unit is:
- World War One.
- Causes and outbreak
- the peace treaties and consequences of the war
- Tsarist Russia
- The 1917 revolution
- The Civil War and the creation of the USSR
When we have finished to copy the index of the unit, Paqui has started to explain the first part of the point 1: causes and outbreak.
The causes of the World War One were:
- Rivalries between different European powers such as United Kingdom and Germany, France and Germany and Austria-Hungary against Russia.
- Confronted military alliances: The Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy) and the Triple Entente (United Kingdom, France and Russia)
- Arms race: There were big investments in weapons, soldiers and war plans to be ready for war ("Armed peace").
- Exacerbation of nationalism: It's a general tendency of exaltation of the own virtues, contempt towards foreigners and racism.
In today's class we have copied a lot of new vocabulary, let's see:
-Tsar:Zar -To collapse: hundirse
-Tsarist: Zarista -Military alliance: alianza militar
-Stalinism: Estalinismo -To commit oneself: comprometerse
-Trench: trinchera -Committment: compromiso
-Rivalry: rivalidad -To foresee: preveer
-Unsolved: irresuelto, no resuelto -Armis race: carrera de armamentos
-Armed peace: La paz armada -Exacerbation: exacerbación
-Contempt: desprecio -On the brink of: a punto de
-Pre-bellic: prebélico -Gunboat: acorazado
-Tug of war: tira y afloja -tugboat: remolcador
At the end of the lesson Paqui has given us homework for Monday: copy the second slide of the presentation and the exercise 1 of the page 59 and she has advised us to start the art project!
And that's all, see you on Monday.