First of all I want to wish to you a happy New Year!
This is my first journal of this new year.
Today we have got Social Sciences lesson at the first period.
First of all, Paqui has told us about a new whiteboard that is in the class, she has said to us that it is to write quotes that we like and we want to share with all our classmates.
Then, Paqui has started revising quickly all the things that we have studied in this unit.
After that we have started to correct the two points that we have to summarize in Christmas holiday. We had to summarize the Directory(1794-1799) and The Napoleonic Era(1800-18015).
- The Directory (1794-1799): About the Directory we have learnt many things: The bourgeoise took the control. There were two types of government: The executive power was formed by five members and two legislative chambers formed by The Council of the Five Hundred and Council of the Ancients.We have also learnt that they had many problems (attacks from the absolutism and attacks from the population, Serious economic and social crisis,the war against the European Monarchies continued...)
- The end of the Directory arrived when, pretending a threat of Jacobins, Napoleon gave a coup d'État, saying that if the members of the Council of the 500 didn't vote him the people would attack them.
- The Napoleonic Era(1800-1815): It is divided into two stages:
- Consulate:1800-1802--Three members Consulate 1802-1804--Napoleon was elected first and only Consul for life. Main decisions: Reestablishment of public order ( he stopped the absolutists and the popular revolts), concordant with the Pope, he made an Administrative reform,the Napoleonic Code(Code of Civil Law)
- Empire: Napoleon crowned himself Emperor in 1804. During the Napoleonic Era France's enemy were Great Britain, Portugal and Russia. Napoleon ordered the Continental Blockade against the Great Britain that consisted of the prohibition to buy or sell products to Great Britain. But Portugal and Russia didn't obey this order, so Napoleon tried the invasion of these two countries that were the beginning of the end of the Napoleonic Era. Paqui has also explained us that Napoleon started his invasion in Russia during the summer ,but when the winter arrived they weren't prepared so many people died because of the low temperature and because the Russians used many tactics, half of the Napoleon's Army died during this invasion.
Today we also have copied some words in our glossary:
- Coup d'État:golpe de estado
- Consul for life:cónsul vitalicio
- Concordat:concordato (That is a treaty signed between a State and the Pope)
- Scorched-earth tactic: Tácticas de tierra quemada
- guerilla warfare:guerra de guerrillas