Today in the class of Social Sciences we have started the Fascist Italy and the Nazy Germany. At the beginning of the lesson Paqui has showed us a video where Franco is speaking English ( he spoke really really bad), and we have laughed a lot because when he was finishing he said "Viva España" in Spanish while he was speaking English.
Later we have started with the class Paqui had prepared for us. Firstly we have studied the Fascist Italy and we have started with the explanation of Italy after World War 1, and the theory was:
- Although Italy fought with the Allies in WW1, they were not satisfied with the territories they received after the Conference of Paris.
- There was a general feeling of mutilated victory.
- The irredentists claimed for more territories they considered that had to belong to Italy.
Then Paqui has explained us the The Two Red Years: Italy continued to be a liberarl monarchy, but the liberal Governments were unable to pace postwar problems:
Unemployment High External Debt Influence of the Bolshevik Revolution:
Inflation Political Instability seizure of lands and factories.
After this explanation Paqui has told us that all these problems were fertile ground for extremist ideologies.
Later we have started with the leader of the Facist Italy, Benito Mussolini:
Mussolini was a former Socialist, who had been expelled from the Socialist Party when he decided to support the participation of Italy in WW1. He was promoted to corporal during WW1 and general discontent allowed him to create an extreme right group to confront workers' and peasants' protests.
After we have known a bit of Mussolini we have continued with the: Fasci Italiani di Cambattimento:
Mussolini as I have said took advantage of the critical situation in Italy and created a new group used to threaten workers and help businessmen and landowners to re-stablish order through violence. Their paramilitary group was called the Blackshirts.
Later Paqui has said that the Emblem of the Fasci reflected the symbol of Justice. Then we have continued with the National Fascist Party created by Mussolini in 1922, and this party was in favour of:
- Anti-communism, anti-socialism, anti-liberalism and against parliamentary democracy.
- Defense of private property.
- Strong state.
- Use of violence.
- Intervention of the state in economy and autarky.
To end with the lesson Paqui has explained us the March on Rome (28th October 1922): as a demonstration of their power the Fascists organized a March on Rome with the Blackshirts, from all over Italy. The Fascist demanded power and threatened the government with the use of violence.
Also Paqui has said that the king appointed Mussolini prime minister, with the other 3 Fascists ministers. Once in power their Fascists used all the resources ath their reach to persecute the opposition.
In the 1924 elections they got majority in the Parliament.
This is all we have done today. Also we have copied some words in our glossary:
- Francoism: Franquismo.
- Roman Salute: Saludo Romano.
- Mutilated Victory: Victoria Mutilada.
- Undreemed territories: Territorios irredentos.
- The Twor Red Years: Bienio Rojo.
- Seizure: Ocupación.
- Fertile Ground: Terreno abonado.
- Corporal: cabo.
- Antarky: Autarquía. Economic policy based on self-sufficiency producing all the country needs and not importing anything.
- Petty Bourgeoisie: Pequeña Burguesía.
- Landowners: Terratenientes.
- Cocky: Gallito, chulo.
- At their reach: a su alcance.