Today is Tuesday so we have started the lesson at the 4th period, after the break time.
We have started remembering briefly what we spoke about yesterday, Philip II, and after this we have completed its scheme which was our homework today.
When we have finished with Philip II the teacher Paqui has asked who wanted to do the journal, but there hasn't been voluntaries but I said that I could, so here I am.
We have continued speaking about the revolts in the Low Countries and how Philip II gave this territory to his daughter Isabel Clara Eugenia but as she didn't have any descendat, it returned to the Hispanic Empire and the revolts restarted. Then we have spoke about the wars against France and the conflicts with England because:
- They supported the Protestants in the Low Countries' revolt.
- The English privateers (or corsairs) attacked the Fleets which came from the Indies.
- Philip II supported Mary, the Catholic Queen of Scotland, to the detriment of the Anglican Elizabeth.
Finally we have talked about the wars against the Ottoman Turks and to finish the lesson we have started speaking about Philip II's children. Paqui has spent a lot of time explaining this because Philip II's family is a really big mess because of imbreeding!! Philip II had four wives:
- María Manuela of Portugal (Philip II's cousin). He had one son with her, Charles who was mental disable so he couldn't be Philip II's heir.
- Mary I of England (Philip II's aunt), they didn't have any descendant.
- Elisabeth of Valois, and they had two daughters, Isabel Clara Eugenia and Catalina Micaela.
- Anna of Austria (Phlip II's niece), and they had one daughter, María, and four sons: Ferdinand (who died at 6), Carlos Lorenzo (who died at 2), Diego Félix (who died at 7) and Phlip, who finally would become king as Philip III of Spain.
Philip III, son of Philip II and Anna of Austria
To finish my journal I'm going to include all the words we have included today to the glossary:
- To prohibit/forbid - Prohibir
- The bogeyman - El hombre del saco
- Loot - Botín
- Bounty - Recompensa
- Privateer - Corsario
- Bankruptcy - Bancarrota
- Default - Quiebra
- Debt - Deuda
- Inbreeding - Endogamia
And that's all for today!